An Upgrade and A Headache

For the past few days I’ve been tinkering with the backend of my weblog. Did a full upgrade of it’s system. Previously powered by MT2.661 I upgraded it to the latest version which is 3.11. And headaches ensued right after.. Sick

First there was the templating changes, even if it seems small, a lot had to be done to put it there. In making sure the layout look as much as possible as the previous one. Then I had to rediscover how to put smilies in my post, and yes I don’t want to go through the hassle of coding one by one again, and just making sure that when I decide to do another upgrade I wont have to hardcode the whole thing again. So there goes a few more hours. And at the end I managed to get it just right Smile
Then I decided that a better naming convention for my URLs was needed. Just making sure that if and when I decide to change weblog program or anything, my previous URLs would still be accessible and making it nicer Grin No more .php or anything in the link. But that decision will cause every other link that ppl have linked in the past to break. So I had to put in a few more codes to make sure that I’m not making a lot of users frustrated.
All in all it was a good learning experience, I learned more what perl can do, and why some ppl opt to use it rather than php. I also managed to learn a bit about regular expressions, and I tell u regex is so goddamned useful that every other program that I’ve been using to develop this weblog, in someway has used it.
Need some rest, so adieu for now Devil

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.